Thursday, June 10, 2010

Open Letter to Paypal

Dear Paypal Customer Service,


I would like to take this opportunity to commend your Account Security team. Here's my story:


On June 7th, 2010, a charge appeared on my bank account for $260 from one of your members, Jorja Trading. I had not authorized this charge, so I reported it to my bank which then instructed me to contact you. I did so on June 9th, around 11:30 AM. After clearing the automated menu, I was greeted by a friendly-sounding young lady who took all my pertinent information before transferring me to Paypal Account Security. After I repeated my pertinent information, the young man (Rick, it may have been), immediately filed a stolen credit card claim and took my e-mail address so any paperwork related to prosecution could be sent to me for signature. He then asked me if I had any familiarity at all with Jorja Trading.


I explained that yes, I was familiar with them, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, my boyfriend owes them money. The exact amount is in dispute, since the documentation they sent him had a different total than the amount they reported to the court system. A court date is pending, I believe. I told your team member all I knew, which isn't much, since the whole situation has nothing to do with me. This dispute originated with the purchase of a car. My name was not on his credit application for the car. My name was not on the title for the car. I was not sharing a lease with him, nor is his name on my bank account anywhere. My further familiarity with Jorja Trading is thus: this was the second fraudulent charge they had attempted on my account. The first was overturned by my bank back in April, along with several other transactions from other sources. My debit card had been compromised and I was left with my account thousands of dollars in the negative. That card was canceled and a new one issued.


I expressed bewilderment at how Jorja Trading was able to get the new card number, since I haven't used it online at all. He agreed that there must be “something else going on here.” Rick asked if my boyfriend had given them the new card information. I answered no, he's had no financial dealings with them at all, pending the court date. He suggested that I talk to my boyfriend about these fraudulent charges. I repeated that no contact of that nature had occurred, to which Rick replied “Well...”


I was amazed. It reminded me of a series of books I read when I was little. The main character was a little boy named Encyclopedia Brown and he solved crime. All someone had to do was tell him what happened, and he would tell you who did it! He never even had to investigate, really, he was just that smart. Now, I don't know how much you guys are paying Rick, but Encyclopedia was making 25 cents per case. Just sayin'.


Sure enough, I got an e-mail less than 12 hours later, saying there was insufficient evidence to support my claim. Wow! That was fast. No waiting around, wondering how the investigation's going. Prompt response, that's what customer service is all about. Now, I had thought that perhaps Jorja Trading would have to prove the transaction was legitimate, but no, I have to prove it's not. What a novel idea, proving a negative. It hadn't even occurred to me... probably because it's impossible.


It's not every day I receive such really mind-blowing customer service. I will be pursuing this issue further, but I'm sure it's just an avoidance technique I've developed to help me deal with the fact of my boyfriend's fraudulent activity. So until we speak next time (and I'm sure I speak for Jorja Trading here too): THANKS PAYPAL!


Yours truly,

Laura Melton



Update: I know the multitude of readers here are just salivating for an update on this, so here we go. A phone call was placed to Jorja Trading, with an attorney's name ready to drop. They denied any knowledge of the transactions or payments received. This was discovered in a 10 minute phone call. Noo, Paypal, this isn't a hinky deal at all. Phone call to Paypal Account Security is in progress; they're saying it is a "househould issue," i.e. my boyfriend stole the money. Brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment